Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I love tabloids

All of the newspapers I ever worked for were broadsheet community papers with typically boring headlines and an overwhelming devotion to political correctness. One time I did a brief profile on a local author, and the main character in his latest novel was a transvestite prostitute, and my editor wouldn't let me use either the word "transvestite" or "prostitute." I was like, "How the hell do you expect me to write about this book -- which YOU assigned me to do -- if I can't describe the main character?" OK, I didn't say that. But I definitely thought it.

Anyway, I don't think I would have had any problems with political correctness at the Philadelphia Daily News, which published this Michael Vick headline on the front page of its sports section today:


No comments: